Thursday, June 26, 2014

Throwback Thursday

Getting a little more creative with my #tbt contributions. In the mid '00s, I followed a Soldier to Virginia and got a job selling plots in a local cemetery. The business of Death was of morbid fascination for me then (still is, really) and I learned quite a few things--some lessons I'm usually happy to share at cocktail parties, and some lessons about how to be a better human being. In 2006, I started a collection of short non-fiction essays, There's a Girl on My Backhoe, but never did manage to finish more than three. So far removed from the experience, I think the stories will have to be recycled into a collection of fiction rather than essays as I fill in (or even invent) details I can't completely recall. I did, though, finish this piece.

All names and places have been changed, except for the most generic, as there are, in fact, many, many, many Lamms in Virginia, alive and dead.


No comments:

Post a Comment