Saturday, May 28, 2011

Anthology muscle

Poe Twisted #1, by Dirk Strangely
"Anthologies are death." Helpful musing by Dan Vado from Slave Labor Graphics when I told him what's next for Red Stylo Media (RSM). AZTECA is on auto-pilot at conventions until it's time to start formatting Issue #3 and the trade, so all I can do is begin to lay the groundwork for the next project. An anthology was a great way to get product together and work on something fun. Plus, I'm in it!

The death comment was really more about money, I think. They don't (necessarily) sell. And you're juggling people to get the thing done--artists, writers, layout folk. And THEN the submissions might not be very good. People like anthologies, as in they like to be in anthologies. I personally don't know anyone else who reads them.

But I like them and I like to read them--when they're good. Pet peeves when it comes to random collections of work:
  1. No theme.
  2. Uninteresting or confusing art.
  3. Weak or confusing stories.
I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that I've specifically only taken entries from folks who were not in danger of committing any of these aforementioned sins. To the point where I probably-- No. I did.--step on toes to get the shotgroup tight. But come on...we're writing after Edgar Allan Poe.

TwistedPoe.com   Be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment