Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Will I See You Tonight? (Angel With A Bullet #2)

Check RedStylo.com for all the latest (and much more frequently updated) news about comics by me.

Slow to roll on these here, but the second story for my new mini anthology of comics Angel With a Bullet has been out for a bit. "Will I See You Tonight?" inspired by Tom Waits' "Downtown Train." This is the second story in this collection of comics I wrote, inspired by music-master Tom Waits, and you can see the first four pages and download the comic in Red Stylo's online store.

Available digitally and in print.
Waits is a second-hand theme for me: I heard the Rod Stewart version of "Downtown Train" before I ever heard Waits. And talented as Mr. Stewart is ("Love Touch", anyone? "Forever Young"? "Maggie"?) I pegged him as the scratchy-voice guy on the radio my mom would warble along to on Sunny 95. Which is to say,  I didn't appreciate the song at all. And then Tom finally got 'round to me and...man what a fucking genius song. All that hungry, lonely and sad. In a city. (For a midwestern girl like me, that city part is important.)

Stevie is a girl with big dreams, singing for her supper in a New York subway. But dreams don’t always come true in the dirty underground.

"Will I See You Tonight?" is the most feminist piece of writing I've ever done, in any form. Of course partly due to subject matter, but mostly because it's my big girl yawp about similar situations I've witnessed or experienced and how I feel after them, always--hungry, lonely and sad. I guess it's "feminist" whenever a woman talks about what it feels like to be one. I'm cool with that.

The comic is 8-pages, illustrated by the fantastically talented Lora Innes, with color by Emmy-nominated Mark Mullaney, also to whom I am very grateful. I posted the entire B/W version of the story for free as part of #yesallwomen on RedStylo.com, but if you like it, get one in every color.

Read my story. Do it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment